Amanda Gommo, 51, was taking an afternoon nap when her daughter’s pet chihuahua, Belle, became ill and suffered sudden diarrhea.
Gommo told South West News Service, “I was having my afternoon nap with Belle like I always do when I suddenly felt something squirt in my mouth. It was disgusting, and I was hurling violently for hours after. I just couldn’t get the taste out of my mouth.”
Gommo’s daughter took Belle to the vet, where the pup was diagnosed with a nasty stomach bug.
Soon after, Gommo herself began showing symptoms similar to the sick pooch. Gommo quickly sought medical attention.
Gommo was prescribed painkillers for her stomach cramps and was instructed to drink plenty of water to flush out any possible infection.
However, Gommo’s symptoms only became worse over the next 48 hours. Eventually, the cramps began to spread all over her body.
Gommo said, “The cramps got worse and worse until I could feel them all over my body — even in my legs. I was so dehydrated from being sick and having diarrhea that my kidneys had shriveled to half their size.”
She quickly called for an ambulance and was rushed to the hospital.
There, Gommo was diagnosed with a gastrointestinal infection. The infection, of course, was because Belle’s feces landed in her mouth two days earlier.
Gommo was kept for observation over the three days while they rehydrated her.
Gommo, who suffers from Chron’s disease, stated, “I was kept in hospital for three days until they’d flushed the infection out through a drip. My discharge note said that I’d suffered a gastrointestinal infection caused by a dog defecating in my mouth — something doctors had never witnessed before.”
Gommo says she is now “on the mend.”
Belle, the pet pooch has also recovered. However, she may not be welcome to sleep in Gommo’s bed anytime soon.
“I’ve forgiven Belle for her little accident and I still love her with all my heart,” Gommo said. “But I will definitely be more mindful of what position we sleep in in the future!”