TikTok Star Rethinking Quest For Fame After Stunt Costs BIG $$$ & A Trip To The US Attorney’s Office

So you want to be a star?

Katie Sigmond, 20, an influencer with almost seven million TikTok followers, was forced to appear in federal court for a stunt she pulled at Grand Canyon National Park.

In the now-deleted video, Sigmond hit a golf ball into the canyon and lost most of her club as she struck the ball. Meaning that the ball and part club fell hundreds of feet and could have struck someone.

After a quick investigation, officials discovered the culprit and posted a warning on their social media page.

“Do we really need to say, ‘don’t hit golf balls into the Grand Canyon? On October 26, an individual posted a video to her personal TikTok page showing her hitting a golf ball and throwing a golf club into the canyon near Mather Point. Members of the public helped identify the individual’s social media account. On October 27, Grand Canyon Law Enforcement identified, located and contacted the individual responsible for the incident. Charges and a court appearance for the individual are pending. Throwing objects over the rim of the canyon is not only illegal but can also endanger hikers and wildlife who may be below.” 

Officials charged Sigmond littering and creating hazardous conditions with disorderly conduct. She was only cited for disorderly conduct and tossing or throwing items into the canyon, which carry a maximum fine of $5,000 and six months in prison.

Sigmond didn’t have to go to court, but she met with the US Attorney’s Office in Arizona and entered into a collateral forfeiture agreement.

In the end, Sigmond was forced to pay over $300 in fines and the cased was closed with no conviction on her record. According to Yahoo News the fines were paid in full on November 15, 2022.

The Tik Tok influencer isn’t the only one that has found themself in trouble for throwing objects into the Grand Canyon.

In October 2021, a man was seen hitting baseballs from the South Rim near the Yavapai Geology Museum. After the National Park Service requested help in identifying the perpetrator, the man contacted NPS LEOs to identify himself.

It is unclear if he was charged.

NPS officials have said that more and more incidents like this keep occurring.

Yahoo News


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here