A UK couple was on their dream honeymoon when it turned into a nightmare after the bride was stung by one of the world’s most venomous fish.
Amy Thomson,27, and her new husband Callum Thomson, 37, had embarked on a two-week honeymoon to the island of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean.
“Through our holiday rep, we picked a speedboat trip where they take you to all the differing snorkel stops. We were towards the end of it, and there was a BBQ on the beach,” Thomson explained.
She added, “We were all on the beach, and I was between courses and I was quite hot, so I wanted to go in for a swim.”
Shortly after she went into the water, the bride was stung by a stonefish — the most venomous species in the world.
According to Ocean Conservancy,
Stonefish have 13 spines lining its back that release venom under pressure. If you inadvertently step on a stonefish thinking it’s a harmless rock, it will pop up its dorsal spines and release venom from two sacs at the base of each spine. Unsurprisingly, the more venom that is injected, the worse it is for you. Stings result in terrible pain, swelling, necrosis (tissue death) and even death.
After being stung, Amy said, “I came straight back to the shore … that is when I honestly have never had that much pain in my life. I looked at my foot, and it had already doubled in size. It was all swollen. I looked underneath my foot, and it had gone all blue and white.”
Upon receiving care, Amy described the ordeal saying, “They blue-lighted me over an hour away from the hospital, and the pain lasted until eventually I was put on a drip and given morphine. I stayed over in the hospital that night where I received anti-venom for the sting.”
She continued saying, “I had fluids, morphine, and later that night, I had an incision down my foot where they squeezed the venom out.”